Reading - the key to all learning
Reading is the key that opens up the doors to new learning. If a child is unable to read fluently, with confidence, they will struggle in all areas of their education and in life. Reading is at the heart of what we do here at St John's and ensuring children learn to read as early as possible is our priority.
In this section of the website, you will find information about:
- how you can give your child a head start, so that they start nursery with the foundations in place to be able to learn to read.
- how we promote a love of reading, from our youngest children to our oldest
- our partnership with Seven Stories, the National Centre for Children's Books
- how we use a programme called Read, Write Inc to teach children phonics - the sounds in words
- how we use Talk for Reading and Talk for Writing to give children a broad 'bank' of stories that they learn and remember
- the way we use technology to support and enhance our teaching of reading
- how we assess reading and prepare children for national tests in Year 2 and Year 6